Last Updated on September 13, 2021 by admin
A gaming monitor is a special monitor designed to extract the best output from your computer’s graphics card and the CPU. In simplest terms, the primary purpose of a gaming monitor is to make graphics look as good as possible when you play games.
When you shop around for a gaming monitor, you can find many products under various brands. Well, if you are looking to buy a new gaming monitor, the below Q&A may come in handy.
Q: What is the difference between a gaming monitor and a regular monitor?
A gaming monitor has a significantly higher refresh rate and better response time compared to a regular monitor. That is the main difference between a gaming monitor and a regular one. A higher refresh rate and better response time allow you to view games more smoothly on gaming monitors.
Q: Can you use a gaming monitor as a regular monitor?
A gaming monitor is nothing more than a regular monitor, only with a higher refresh rate and better response time. So, yes, you can use a gaming monitor as a regular monitor if you wish.
Q: How do I choose a gaming monitor?
If you want a gaming monitor, you should buy one with at least a 75Hz refresh rate along with the lowest possible response time. Since refresh rate is an essential aspect, many gaming monitors come with at least a 120Hz refresh rate. Also, the response time should not exceed 5ms.
Q: What are the advantages of a gaming monitor?
There are several advantages of gaming monitors compared to regular ones.
- They have lower input lag
- Speedy response time
- Better refresh time
- Work with both console games and PC games
- Displays smooth graphics with realistic effects
Q: Are gaming monitors good for everyday use?
Yes. Nothing should prevent you from using a gaming monitor for everyday use. It works as a display unit with a better response rate and a refresh rate. They come with better features, customization options, and a generally better viewing experience.
Q: What type of monitor is best for gaming?
Twisted Nematic (often abbreviated as TN) is the most popular gaming monitor. They offer the fastest response time than IPS and VA-type monitors. Also, they are affordable than the IPS variety.
Q: Is 144Hz good for gaming?
Yes. If you are a gamer who is looking for a high-end, fully-featured gaming monitor, 144Hz is ideal. Also, it is a superb option for anyone who prefers excellent graphics with an immersive feeling.
Q: Should I get a 24- or 27-inch monitor?
Suppose you have a regular desktop space with relatively fewer requirements in terms of resolution. In that case, 24″ is the ideal option for you. However, if you prefer playing high-end games with more significant viewing ability, you should go for a 27″ gaming monitor. Basically, it depends on aspects like available space, budget, and specifications of the games you play.
Q: What monitor size do pro gamers use?
Most pro gamers use 24″ monitors since it is considered the standard monitor size for professional tournaments.
Q: Is a curved monitor better for gaming?
Curved monitors indeed provide a more convenient view of the eyes. Also, they offer a comfortable viewing experience along with certain gaming advantages; this is particularly true for those who play simulations. Nevertheless, their refresh rate, color depth, response time, and panel technology are similar to flat-screen monitors.
Q: What are the pros and cons of a curved monitor?
There are several noticeable pros and cons associated with the curved monitor. Mentioned below are those pros and cons for your references.
- It gives you a real-world vision thanks to the curved edges of the screen.
- Better and wider viewing angle
- Minimal reflection and glare of stray light compared to flat screens
- Curved monitors offer an effect similar to subtle 3D, only without the hassle of setting up actual 3D visuals
- They look intuitive and cooler compared to flat-screen monitors
- There can be slight distortions in some images when you view them on curved monitors
- They have a smaller viewing angle compared to flat screens
- It is not the best type of monitor to hang on a wall
Q: Is a 32-inch monitor bad for the eyes?
You will have to move your head or eyes to look across larger screens such as 32″. Otherwise, you cannot properly see UI elements. However, it is still good for the eyes. But the perfect size range is 24″ – 27″ considering all those aspects.
Q: Is 27 too small for 4K?
If you sit at the right distance from the monitor (3 feet or one meter), a 27″ monitor would be great for 4K. However, if you sit about 2 meters away from the monitor, that would appear too small.
Q: How far away should the monitor be from the eyes?
The ideal distance between you and the monitor is 20″ or 61cm. It is about your arm’s length. However, if your screen is bigger than the regular size, you should allow more distance. Also, arrange the screen position to minimize the screen position.
Q: Why are smaller monitors better for gaming?
When you play using low-resolution monitors, you can expect lower sensitivity and achieve better precision. Also, it allows you to cover the entire screen with less mouse scrolling. Also, with precision, smaller foes can attack faster than you make it.
Q: Is the 32-inch monitor too big for 1080p?
Yes. 32″ is a too-big size, particularly for a 1080p monitor. The best option is a 27″ monitor with a 144hz panel if you want to view 1080p graphics.
Q: Is 1080p bad for the 27-inch monitor?
If your monitor is 27″ and if you go for 1080p resolution, that’s the maximum value. It will appear somewhat pixelated because of the PPI. However if you play 1080p in a 24″ with 144hz, that would look perfect.
Q: Is 1080p vs 1440p noticeable?
Yes. It is significantly noticeable. The games will look absolutely better. If you switch to a 27″ 1440p from a 24″ 1080p monitor, you can notice better density with excellent crispness.
Q: Is there a noticeable difference between 1080p and 4K?
Yes. There is a clear difference between HD 1080p and UHD 4K monitors. 4K pictures are incredibly sharper and well-detailed. If the monitor supports HDR, the quality will be even better.
Q: Is the 32-inch monitor too big for 1440p?
No. In fact, it is just the right size and resolution combination.
Q: Why does 1080p look bad on my monitor?
Distortion of images can happen if your monitor lacks a built-in scaling system. Your monitor will stretch the image to fill the screen with pixels.
Q: Is 1080p better than 4K?
Well, 4K UHD stands way ahead of 1080p HD in terms of video quality and resolution. 4K means 3840 X 2160 pixels. However, in 1080p, there are only 1920 X 1080 pixels. That gives you a hint of which one is better.
Q: Is 1440p better than 4K?
4K is the best choice for productivity. However, with 1440p, you can expect a better refresh rate. Therefore, 1440p is better for gaming.
Q: How much Hz do I need for gaming?
The minimum refresh rate a gamer should have on their monitor is 75 Hz. However, most of the gaming monitors are designed with 120 Hz. Also, you should go for the lowest possible response rate as well.
Q: Is 92 PPI good?
Yes. 92 PPI is a good value as long as you view the monitor from a distance around 61 cm (2ft).
Q: What is 1920×1080 in inches?
If you display a graphic in a 23-inch monitor at a 1920X1080 resolution, its width is 5.75 inches.
Q: What PPI is full HD?
The PPI value differs based on the actual size of the screen. For instance, if it is a 21-inch screen with 1920 X 1080 pixels, that would be 105 pixels per inch.
Q: Does monitor size affect performance?
No. The size of the monitor doesn’t have any direct influence on the performance. However, resolution contributes to the performance. The greater the resolution, the more the pixels.
Q: Is 1080p or 1440p better for gaming?
Obviously, 1440p is a much better option than 1080p when it comes to gaming. However, 1440p requires your GPU to work harder; it will affect your performance, and that’s why many individuals tend to go for 1080p.
Q: Is IPS good for gaming?
IPS gaming monitors are indeed the most common, practical, and suitable solution for gaming. Advancements in technology have made IPS a superb option with great colors.
Q: Is there a big difference between 144Hz and 240Hz?
You can expect better performance from monitors with higher refresh rates. However, you cannot notice a significant difference between 144Hz and 240Hz. But, none of the games exceed 144FPS. So, for gaming purposes, you don’t need a 240Hz monitor.
Q: Is 240Hz monitor overkill?
For those who have a GPU with lower specs, a 240Hz is overkill. Instead, you can invest that money on a graphic card. However, if you usually output 240 frames when playing your high-end games, 240hz would be nice value addition.
Q: Why does 240Hz look weird?
You can see some faux frames added into the source content if your monitor is 240Hz and your system supports it. That is a result of the higher refresh rate, so the panel shows a larger number of images per second. That will make the images weirdly smoother.
Q: Should I upgrade from 144Hz to 240Hz?
The difference you will notice after upgrading from 144hz to 240hz is very low compared to the difference you will notice after upgrading from 60hz to 144hz. So, consider that before upgrading.
Q: Do you need 240fps for 240hz?
No. A 240hz monitor can display games or graphics of lower framerate than 240fps. However, playing a 240fps game on a 60hz monitor can be troublesome.
Q: Can 60Hz run 120fps?
No. a 60hz monitor can refresh its panel 60 times per second (which is equal to 60 frames per second). So, it can display games of 60fps maximum.
Q: How many FPS can a human eye see?
Most of us can see something between 30 to 60 frames per second.
Q: Is 60Hz good for 4K gaming?
60hz will work with 4K games. However, it is better if you can go for a 144hz monitor to play 4K games.
Q: Can 144Hz run 120fps?
A 144hz monitor can tolerate up to 144 frames per second. So, yes, it can handle 120 fps.
Q: Does more Hz increase FPS?
No. Your monitor’s refresh rate doesn’t increase the performance of your GPU. However, the greater the refresh rate of the monitor, the better the images it can display.
Q: How much FPS can a 165Hz monitor display?
It can display up to 165 frames per second.
Q: What graphics card can run 240Hz?
Use a 1080 GeForce or RTX 2080 to be compatible with a 240Hz monitor.
Q: What graphics card runs 240 fps?
GeForce RTX 2080 and RTX Ti are the best options.
Q: Can a monitor limit FPS?
No. FPS is processed by the system specifications but not the monitor. However, the monitor’s refresh rate determines the quality of the graphics it can display.
Q: What is acceptable fps for gaming?
Games with at least 60fps are acceptable because they are smooth and very responsive. Also, they give you a better and realistic gaming experience.
Q: What monitors do professional gamers use?
Please, see the below review on the best gaming monitors of 2021
10 Best Gaming Monitors of 2021
Dell S2421HGF 24 “ 144hz Gaming Monitor
Dell S2421HGF 24 “ 144hz gaming monitor features a newly designed tapered stand and a small footprint that gets you closer to the action. It is very sleek, slim, with a 1ms response time and 144 Hz refresh rate. This machine is stutter-free with AMD FreeSync, customizable, game-centric, refined, and lets you play in full HD resolution.
- GET LOST IN THE VIEW: 24" class, 23.8" viewable Dell gaming monitor with 1920 x 1080 Full HD Resolution
- STUTTER-FREE GAMING MONITOR: AMD FreeSync Premium technology adds another layer of seamless gameplay by eliminating screen tearing and stuttering
- IF LOOKS COULD KILL: A 3-sided narrow bezel creates expansive views, plus unique vents located in the back keep everything cool while working hard
- BENDS TO YOUR WILL: Height adjustable stand with swivel and tilt capabilities let you game in comfort for extended periods
- LEAVE LAG IN THE DUST: The 1ms response time and 144Hz refresh rate on this gaming monitor deliver a smooth, uninterrupted experience
LG UltraGear 27GL83A-B 27 Inch Gaming Monitor
LG UltraGear 27GL83A-B 27 Inch Gaming Monitor is Nvidia G-Sync compatible, smoother, clearer, and faster. It is ultra-fast, with a fluid gaming motion that brings immediate action to the screen. Additional features include a minimal lag input with dynamic action sync, attack first in the dark, 3-side borderless design, wider viewing angle, vivid color accuracy, and incredible speed with IPS 1ms (GTG).
- 27 inch QHD (2560 X 1440) IPS display
- IPS 1ms response time & 144Hz refresh rate
- NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible. Surface Treatment-Haze 25%, 3H
- 3-Side virtually borderless design
- Tilt, Height, Pivot adjustable stand. Dimensions Without Stand (WxHxD)- 24.2 x 14.4 x 2.2 inches
SAMSUNG 49-inch Odyssey G9 Gaming Monitor
SAMSUNG 49-inch Odyssey G9 Gaming Monitor matches the curve of the human eye and lets you get ahead of the game. It allows minimal eyestrain, maximum immersion, unparalleled depth with HDR 1000, and includes 240Hz refresh rate, 1000R QLED monitor, Nvidia G-Sync, AMD FreeSync, and a dual QHD display sitting side by side.
- SAMSUNG'S LARGEST 1000R GAMING MONITOR: Get your head in the game with the 49 inch Odyssey G9, which matches the curve of the human eye, for maximum immersion and minimal eye strain, and the screen space of two 27” panels
- CUTTING EDGE QLED TECHNOLOGY: From deepest blacks to vivid colors, Samsung QLED ensures pixel perfect picture quality with every frame; Utilizing Quantum Dot technology, it creates more vivid colors with 125% more color space compared to sRGB
- NVIDIA G-SYNC & AMD FREESYNC: With G-SYNC and FreeSync Premium Pro support, Odyssey matches every frame from your graphics card, so you’re never caught short from moment to moment
- DUAL QHD DISPLAY: The gaming world of your imagination made real; QHD resolution brings you a display as wide as two QHD monitors sitting side by side with incredibly detailed, pin-sharp images
- INFINITY CORE LIGHTING: Customize your Odyssey with core color customization to match your monitor with the rest of your gaming setup
AOC C24G1 24″ Curved Frameless Gaming Monitor
AOC C24G1 24″ Curved Frameless Gaming Monitor features an adjustable height, 1500R VA panel, AMD FreeSync, VESA mountable, full HD resolution, frameless design with narrow borders, and a 1ms rapid response with 144Hz refresh rate. It is very sleek, stutter-free, and allows a tear-free gaming experience.
- AOC Gaming 24" Class, 23. 6" Viewable AOC Gaming monitor with 1920 x 1080 Full HD resolution
- 1500R curved monitor (VA panel) wrapping around your vision for an immersive gaming experience
- Rapid 1ms (MPRT) response and 144Hz refresh rate with AMD Free Sync for smoothest competitive game play
- 3-Sided frameless design with ultra-narrow borders for the ultimate multi-monitor setup
- Height adjustable stand for optimum ergonomics
Dell 27” FHD Curved Gaming Monitor
Dell 27” FHD Curved Gaming Monitor is tilt-adjustable, made for mind-bending escapes, Nvidia G-Sync, and AMD FreeSync compatible, with an ultra-thin bezel. It is very compact, sleek, and lightning-fast with a response time of 1ms that eliminates blur.
- SEAMLESS SPPED: This curved gaming monitor contains a 144Hz refresh rate combined with a 1ms (MPRT) response time to eliminate motion blur and allow for fast-moving visuals to be seen with incredible clarity
- TEAR-FREE, STUTTER-FREE GAMING: Nvidia G-SYNC Compatible Certification and AMD FreeSync Premium technology minimizes graphic distortions like screen tearing and stuttering for smoother, fluid gameplay and extraordinary image quality
- STAND AND DELIVER: Perfectly positioned: The height- and tilt-adjustability lets you game in comfort for extended periods
- IMMERSIVE ACTION: The 1500R curved monitor screen creates a more realistic field of vision for an incredibly immersive viewing experience
- GAMING-CENTRIC TOOLS: Easily navigate and manage the on-screen display (OSD) menus with new joystick and shortcut buttons located on the back of the monitor
Asus VG278QR 27” Gaming Monitor
Asus VG278QR 27” Gaming Monitor supports Nvidia G-Sync, full HD, 144Hz refresh rate, eye care, HDMI, and extreme low motion blur which motion objects appear sharper. It is designed for intense, fast-paced games with low input lag, 165 Hz rapid refresh rate, and 0.5ms GTG response time.
- 16:9 widescreen resolution perfect for watching movies, playing video games and getting on with office work
Sceptre curved 27″ Gaming Monitor
Sceptre curved 27″ gaming monitor features a fast response time which reduces ghosting & blurring while transitioning pixels keep the enemy & terrain in focus during chaotic moments. It includes an endless design, full HD, 75 Hz refresh rate, 1800R VA panel which matches the eye field of view for more immersion and visibility.
- 1500R Curved Display: The 1500R degree curved design immerses you completely into the gaming landscape, allowing you to spot all threats and opportunities before all of your competitors.
- 98% sRGB: With 98% sRGB, this monitor offers a wider color gamut than most conventional monitors, giving deeper colors and defining features.
- Multiple Ports: Two HDMI and one VGA port each accelerate refresh rate up to 75Hz, providing the visual edge you need to defeat the competition during all of your gaming exploits.
- Adaptive Sync: Adaptive Sync is a technology that closes the gap between the graphics card's and the monitor's refresh rates, eliminating image tearing and stuttering in the process.
- Built-in Speakers: Perfectly suited to work & gaming settings, built-in speakers deliver robust & smooth audio while saving space on your desk.
ViewSonic 24 Inch Gaming Monitor
ViewSonic 24 Inch Gaming Monitor is super-fast with 2ms response time, full HD resolution, MEGA dynamic contrast ratio, HDMI port, dual stereo speakers, and VESA mountable. It features a glossy-finish display that enhances the gaming experience and multimedia entertainment.
- FORM & FUNCTION: With modern design, and Full HD (1920x1080p) resolution, this monitor looks as good as it performs
- GAME ON: An arsenal of pre-set customizable visual modes keeps you ready for gaming and multimedia entertainment
- MAXIMIZED COLOR & CONTRAST: MEGA Dynamic Contrast Ratio delivers sharp, crisp images
- FLEXIBLE CONNECTIVITY: The VX2452MH supports laptops, PCs, and Macs with HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: LCD Monitor, Power Cable, DVI Cable, VGA Cable, and Audio Cable
VIOTEK 24-inch 165Hz Gaming Monitor
VIOTEK 24-inch 165Hz Gaming Monitor features a VA panel with a near bezel-less frame, full HD resolution, AMD FreeSync, Nvidia G-Sync, VESA mountable, 4000:1 color contrast ratio, and 165 Hz refresh rate. It is picture-perfect, ultra-smooth for esports, gaming, and HDMI and DP input ports.
- Premium Visual Experience ► Upgraded VA flat panel delivers 1080p monitor resolution with vibrant, color quality, thanks to 300cd/m2 brightness, 98% sRGB gamut and 4000:1 contrast ratio.
- Premium Visual Experience ► Upgraded VA flat panel delivers 1080p monitor resolution with vibrant, color quality, thanks to 300cd/m2 brightness, 98% sRGB gamut and 4000:1 contrast ratio.
- Crush the Competition ► React with lightning speed. 165Hz monitor refresh rate brings hyper-responsive, ultra-smooth competitive gameplay. Adaptive Sync, compatible with FreeSync & G-Sync, eliminates image glitches during fast-paced and eSports games.
- Important Resolution Information ►Max. resolution/refresh using HDMI: 1920x1080p @ 120Hz. Connect with DisplayPort (DP) for max. resolution/refresh of 1920x1080p @ 165Hz. For your convenience, a DP cable is included.
- Multifunction Connectivity ► Connect to the devices you need, from game consoles and laptops to home theaters systems. Includes DisplayPort, two HDMI ports—even a 3.5mm audio out/headphone jack.
Gigabyte G34WQC 34″ 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor
Gigabyte G34WQC 34″ 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor is AMD FreeSync compatible, ultra-wide, VESA mountable, HDR 400, 1ms response time, and 144Hz refresh rate. It has an 8-bit color display, 90% DCI-P3, and super-fast for immersion and full gaming experience ever.
- 34” 3440x1440 VA Display
- 144Hz Refresh Rate, 1ms (MPRT) Response Time
- Immersive Ultrawide Aspect Ratio 21:9
- Native 1500R Curvature
- Smooth Gameplay with AMD FreeSync Premium